Saturday, October 30, 2004

Festivalitis





So you arrive in Vientiane after the Fireball festival in Pon Pisai and, of course, there's a festival going on here too. And it's a lot bigger than the one in Pon Pisai. It's all to do with teh end of the buddhist lent and full moon. Yesterday evening there was a huge fair / market and they let these little boats with candles float on the Mekong, very beautiful. They also do this in Thailand at the Loy Kratong festival, next full moon.
Today there are boatraces and I think the fair is going on tonight as well.
Yesterday there was a guy who thried to steel my wallet., at a place were there were almost no people. I went to look at the little boats on the mekong, and when I walked back to the fair, a guy who walked behind me tried to put his hand in my bag. Apparently he didn't see that I had my hand on my bag ! When I looked at him very angry, he ran away quickly.
And this morning when I went to buy croissants the man only gave me back 1000 kip in stead of 4000 kip. I don't think it was an honoust mistake, I think he really did it on purpose. Yeah, my first impression of the Lao people is not so great. they seem to be not so friendly as thai people and they smile a lot less...
But it's not all bad here. Today I met some nice people, they wanted to practise their english with me. And there were some monks that that tried to hit on me. They were only novices, so I guess they are alowed to do that, cause they're not real monks. They were calling "you are beautiful" and "do you have a boyfriend?"


Dan kom je na het Fireballfestival in Pon Pisai in Vientiane, en wat blijkt, ja, hier is ook een festival aan de gang, en veel groter dan dat van Pon Pisai. Het heeft natuurlijk allemaal te maken met de boeddhistische vastenperiode die nu juist gedaan is en de volle maan. Gisteren was er 's avonds een grote kermis / markt en men liet kleine versierde vlotjes met kaarsjes op de Mekong varen, heel mooi. Dat laatste gebeurt in Thailand ook tijdens het Loy Kratongfestival bij de volgende volle maan. Vandaag zouden er overdag bootraces zijn en ik vermoed dat er 's avonds diezelfde markt weer is.
Helaas was er gisteren een jongen die mij probeerde te bestelen, en dan nog op een plek waar bijna geen volk was. Ik was naar de vlotjes op de rivier gaan kijken, en op de terugweg probeerde de jongen die achterliep zijn hand in mijn tas te steken ! Blijkbaar had hij niet door dat ik mijn hand op mijn tas hield. Toen ik heel boos naar hem keek, liep hij snel weg.
En dan vanmorgen toen ik croissants ging kopen gaf die man mij maar 1000 kip terug ipv 4000, ik denk niet dat 't een vergissing was, maar dat ie mij gewoon wilde afzetten ...
Ja, mijn eerste indruk van de Laotiaanse mnsen is toch niet al te positief, ze zijn ook over 't algemeen een stuk minder vriendelijk dan de Thaise mensen, en ze lachen hier veel minder ...
Maar 't is gelukkig niet al kommer en kwel, ik heb vandaag ook al heel vriendelijke mensen ontmoet, mensen die hun engels met mij willen oefenen en zelfs monikken die mij probeerden te versieren ! 't waren wel maar novicen, dus ik veronderstel dat zij dat wel mogen, want zij zijn nog geen echte monikken. Maar ze riepen maar van "you beautiful" en "do you have boyfriend ?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home